Thursday, October 22, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship With My Job



Let me start by saying that I know that I am truly blessed to have a job PERIOD in this economy, much less a job where I get to work from home every day. Plus, I get to work in a field that is a passion of mine, which is always great. However, just like with any job, there are pros and cons to working at home.

PRO: No set schedule per say

Since I work at home, I can pretty much set my own 'business hours' so to speak. I don't have to be at work from 9-5 like most people that work for my company. I definitely am not mad that I don't have to wake up at the asshole crack of dawn to commute to some office and all that jazz. This pro can be a con though in the line of work I'm in because you never know when news is gonna break, so I have to be available whenever they need me. But, that rarely happens, so we'll keep this in teh pros column.

CON: I kinda miss having someplace to go every day

Now, don't get me wrong, being able to sit in my house in my pjs all day is definitely a good look. But there are days when I kinda miss having somewhere to go, you know? I kinda miss having an excuse to do my hair and all that jazz. Since I'm at home, I pretty much rock a ponytail or my scarf since I'm not going anywhere.

PRO: I am doing what I love

The fact that I get to blog and be a part of creating a blog team for a huge corporation makes my heart sing. I love that I'm helping them reach a goal and making an impact on how they do things. Plus, this experience is helping me learn about the backend of blogging, the behind the scenes stuff that I need to know for when I start doing my own thing.

CON: Motivation to work sometimes is hard

Working from home always sounds so easy to people, myself included before this, but it's a lot harder than I anticipated. Finding the motivation to actually climb outta bed and work can be hard sometimes when you know there's not a specific deadline or anything. Some days, I just wanna stay under the covers, but I know that if I do, I won't get paid. While you'd think that money would be enough to motivate me to get up outta bed, sometimes my sleepiness makes it hard.

PRO: I work alone

I love people, don't get me wrong, but having to depend on someone else to get something done irritates me to no end. Especially if they're holding me up over something dumb. Working alone gives me assurance that I'm getting things done.

CON: I work alone

Since it's just me here, I don't have that extra push of support and help, if needed, to get things done. Sure, I can always call my boss and get assistance or whatever, but it's not the same as being in the same building with them. Knowing your boss is only 5 feet away is a helluva motivating force to get things done. Plus, I get kinda lonely here all by myself while Dominic is at school and the roommies are at work. I miss having someone to talk to when I go on smoke breaks or whatever.

PRO: My bosses truly appreciate and respect me

I know so many people that are working for people and are miserable for one reason or another. I can honestly say that I'm the happiest I've ever been about a job. The only other paying job I had that was as much fun to me was when I worked at Waffle House in Georgia. I love that I get to write every day. It's a very exilerating feeling when you see your dreams being realized. That makes all the shit that is kinda difficult seem so meaningless. To know that my bosses recognize my skills and ask my input on things makes me feel like thebomb.com. Plus, my bosses are all really cool. I was lucky enough to meet them and get to know them a little before they hired me.

Like I said before, I'm truly blessed to have ANY job, so I'm grateful. Plus, I do love that I get to be home with Dominic more. Everyone says I'm so lucky to get to work at home, which is true, but I just wanted y'all to know it's not as easy as you might think. It takes a lot of self-motivation and organization to do it.

Until next time, 
Toni

No comments: